Moutoa Gardens (Pakaitore)
Moutoa Gardens is the site of a Maori fishing pa which later became a trading market. Historical monuments feature throughout the gardens as well as mature trees and garden beds.
On this historical site land sales were made between local Maori Chiefs and European Settlers.
Moutoa Gardens was named after the Battle of Moutoa Island when Whanganui River Maori defended the city against invading warriors.
In 1995 Maori protesters occupied the gardens for 79 days to demand the park be returned to local iwi. That protest ended in an outbreak of violence and clashes with police. Some younger Maoris had knocked the head off the statue of John Ballance, a former New Zealand Prime Minister. The statue has now been removed. John Balance has a new statue elsewhere in the town.
Another statue is of Te Rangihiwinui Kepa, better known as Major Kemp. The statue includes accounts of four of the major battles Kemp fought in the 1860s with his Native Whanganui Contingent.
A Standard Chain Mark was built at Moutoa Gardens in 1880.
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps
Note: Location is approximate.
Major Kemp Statue
Moutoa Battle Memorial