The Aotea Memorial Waka graces the main street. It was built in 1933 to commemorate the settlement of the area by Turi and his hapu. Next to the Waka is the Library and Plunket building, a 1930s design by Gummer and Ford.
St Georges Anglican Church was consecrated in 1885. Frederick de Jersey Clere, the Anglican Church Diocesan Architect, was the designer. The Church has an Historic Places Trust Category 1 registration.
Patea (population 1100) was badly hit by the closing of its freezing works in 1982. Several projects including Aotea Utanganui the Museum of South Taranaki have endeavoured to offset this.
The Pátea Maori Club is famous in New Zealand. Over the years, the Máori Club has performed for royalty and celebrities in New Zealand and abroad. In 2005 the group was selected by the New Zealand Government to perform in Seoul, South Korea, and to represent New Zealand at the World Expo in Aichi, Japan.
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps
Note: Location is approximate.
Aotea Memorial Waka
Patea Post Office
Patea Welcome Sign